Answer one of the questions thoughtfully! Don't repeat! Read through everyone's responses so that you know how each question was answered.
1. Shabanu Daughter of the Wind takes place in the Cholistan desert. Attach a map of the desert and a picture of what the desert looks like. What countries are around it? Explain hardships or problems that might be faced because of the setting.
2. This is a quote from the author: "The news, important as it is, is not the best
way to promote cultural understanding. News
is based on facts about politics and economics.
But fiction invites us into the lives of people
who may seem very different from us, but
nevertheless share our emotions and hopes and
dreams—the stuff of the hearts of every one
of us." What do you think about this? What does it mean?
3. Who is the author? What else has she written? Why does she write about this setting? What else did you find out about her?
4. This book will talk about Muslims who are people who follow the Islam religion. Find out about this religion and summarize it for us! What facts can you find out? (What is the rank among other religions of the world?)
5. What is a custom? What are customs commonly observed in the United States/Iowa? What would be the consequences for not following the customs?
6. What does betrothal mean? Find a list of places that still practice betrothals today. Is it a good or bad thing? Why?
7. What is the official language of Pakistan? In this language, what does chadr mean? What do you think of when you see pictures of a chadr?
8. What does it mean to have "gender roles." Do we have gender roles today? If so, what do you think they are? Research what gender roles may be in the middle east or from the Muslim religion.